Saturday, March 8, 2014

BLOG PROJECT - YOUR CULT FAVORITE FILMS!

So IO9 came out this week with 30 Cult Movies That Absolutely Everyone Must See that got reblogged and commented upon.

I agree with MOST of these films - here they are BTW:

30 Zardoz
29 Tremors
28 The Warriors
27 Lost Boys
26 Born in Flames
25 Sharktopus
24 Tales From the Hood
23 Death Race 2000
22 The HUnger
21 Plan 9 From Outer Space
20 Dark Star
19 Slither
18 Buckaroo Banzai
17 Time Bandits
16 Evil Dead 2
15 Night of the Living Dead
14 Brother from Another PLanet
13 Cherry 2000
12 Altered States
11 Repo Man
10 Monty Python and the Holy Grail
9 They Live
8 Primer
7 Naked Lunch
6 The Man Who Fell To Earth
5 Re-Animator
4 Big Trouble in Little China
3 Eraserhead
2 Donny Darko
1 Rocky Horror.

As I mentioned on Facebook when the list was published I had seen 25 out of 30, I subsequently watched Death Race 2000 yesterday after I read the list.  The others I HAVE NOT seen are #26, 25, 19, & 8.

For the most part I agree, though I think there's some that don't belong here and some that aren't here that should be.

SO here's what I propose - either in Comments here or on your own blog, post what movies you think should be removed and what should be added.

I'll say this:

I'd get rid of 8, 13, 19, 24, 25 & 26 that gives me 6 to add...

Brazil
A Boy and His Dog
Performance
If...
Blue Velvet
Serenity

Now, I would also REPLACE a couple of these items with similar films either by the same director or in the same series.  For example, Evil Dead 2 is a great cult film, but Army of Darkness is better.  I *LIKE* Tales From The Hood, but there's better anthologies, in fact the best is probably Twilight Zone the Movie despite all it's flaws.

SO what are YOUR thoughts?



2 comments:

Stubby said...

I would definitely remove 26, 25, 22, 8 (haven't seen them, don't care to) and 3 (seen it, thought it was crap, wouldn't recommend it to anyone; if you have to see early David Lynch--and I do love David Lynch--Blue Velvet is the way to go).

I would definitely add Happy Accidents (Vincent D'onofrio and Marisa Tomei, a classic), Brazil, Freaks, Pink Flamingos and, OK, Blue Velvet.

I would probably remove 24, 20, 16 and 7. Seen them, they were OK, but they didn't exactly rock my world. I'd probably replace them with Monty Python's Life Of Brian, The Return Of The Living Dead, Howard The Duck and The Chicken Chronicles. OK, the last is a personal guilty pleasure. I'll allow that I'm the only one who liked it. Throw in The Groove Tube, then.

I'm most emphatic about removing Eraserhead and adding Happy Accidents. But The Return Of The Living Dead should not be overlooked. It advanced the development of the genre Romero started and did so with good humor and excellent music.

Special mention, here, of the film short Pork Lips Now, one of the funniest spoofs I've ever seen.

And don't remove Cherry 2000. That was a great flick.

Fuji said...

Here are a few of my cult favorites:

Office Space
Lost Boys
The Road Warrior
The Big Lebowski
Donny Darko
Clerks
Reservoir Dogs
The Warriors
Taxi Driver