Sometime last year I started tuning into a live stream on Youtube for a channel called "My So Called-Gen X Life". Natalie, the YouTuber who runs it is a big Nelson fan and she ends every stream by playing a Nelson song, usually "(Can't Live Without Your) Love and Affection".
Natalie started a book club going over the Generationolgy books by Strauss and Howe, some of my favorite books. And after about 6 weeks of her by herself, I started joining her on the live stream. Now every Tuesday for the last half a year or so, we've been going over those books on her channel. It's been a blast.
Today, we're doing a new book, the Nelson Autobiography! Natalie gifted me and several other members of her channel a copy and I can't wait to get into it. It's a blast.
Along the way, I remembered that Nelson had some cards in the Pro Set Music Cards set. Something I had dabbled in way back in the day, but don't remember buying a whole lot of. I loved Pro Set cards though, they were my jam. So I managed to get one for Natalie on ebay and I noticed that full boxes of unopened cards are still way cheap, because after all 1991 was the junk wax era.
So I decided to try to put together a set. And bought a box. I didn't get a full set, and I discovered there was a series 2, and those boxes had series 1 cards too. So I bought a box of those too. And then I remembered there were promos, so I looked them up. Now I'm on the hunt for all of those. AND the elusive caset hit Guitar Hologram card.
So yeah. These boxes are super cheap, cheaper than when they were brand new. Comes out almost 75 cents a pack.
Oh and did I mention there's a UK Exclusive set too with 150 different cards?
Well, I've managed to piece together a full set of series 1 and 2, though some cards are still in the mail. That's all 260 cards in series 1 and 80 in series 2.
As far as I can tell there are 10 unnumbered promo cards that were given away by Pro Set in various methods.
The first six have a completely different design than the regular cards, and were issued in folders of 2.
They are:
Janet Jackson
Lita Ford
Jimi Hendrix
Madonna
Public Enemy.
The Madonna card has an error and variation, the first printings have her last name misspelled and her birth year wrong.
| Here's a few of the first promos |
The second set of 10 cards utilize the final design, and these were issued in a bunch of different configuations. I got one pack of 4 cards that were in a cello. There's also at least one header.
Debbie Gibson
Janet Jackson
Led Zeppelin
Lita Ford
Living Colour
MC Hammer
Madonna
George Michael
Nelson
Tina Turner
Header
| Here's some of the second set of promos |
Finally there's the errors and corrections. Normally I wouldn't bother, but I actually managed to get almost all of them already, I think out of the dozen and half cards that were fixed, I have all but 2 of them.
SO, for the full master set I would need the following:
Cards 1-340 (340)
All the errors/variations (36)
First Promos (6)
Second Promos (10)
Guitar Holo (1)
UK Set (150)
UK Promo (1)
Various Ad Inserts
Official Binder
As of right now, I still need 2 1st Promos, 3 2nd promos, the Guitar Holo, the UK set and Promo and the Binder.
| Here's the series 2 box, that Pantera card on top is the key card, it's worth about $15-20 |
Then there's NELSON
| Front side of the No Number Promo |
| Reverse of the no numbered promo. Notice the big difference in the design |
| Card #82 |
| Card #83 |
| #84 front |
As I mentioned the Hologram goes for about $40 and I can find the binder for $20. The UK Set is available for between $20-30. The other promos are a bit harder to find, and the ones available on ebay currently cost more than I want to spend.
I will update this as I acquire the final pieces. I'll go for the promos first, then the UK set and finally the hologram and binder.
No comments:
Post a Comment