Sunday, February 6, 2011

Superbowl Pre-Game Countdown: 60 minutes & counting

Good Afternoon Football Fans - welcome to my annual Live-Blog of the big game. If you'd like to spend your time reviewing previous year's live-blogs by yours truly, just click the "Superbowl" link on the right side of the screen, that will show you the 2010 and 2009 iterations.

This year's matchup features the Packers versus the Steelers, which for all intents and purposes should be a good matchup. To me it's boring. I don't care about either team, and there's no compelling reason on either side for me to root for them. I can root against Pittsburgh because I frankly don't like the team. I respect them being an original member of the NFL, and I think the Rooneys are great owners, but I just don't like 'em. In 1995 I happened to be in Rochester New York for the AFC Championship game between my then-home town San Diego Chargers and the Steelers. We watched the game in a sports-bar we found, and I had brought some Chargers gear to wear. I was the only one wearing Chargers gear, the entire bar was against me, and while they were cordial, it was a rough day. Until the final play that is.

I also don't particularly care for Ben Rothelisberger. His off-field exploits far overshadow his actual playing ability, and I think he's just a system QB, rather than having any innate talent - other than not getting sacked. Put him on the Lions and they go nowhere. The fact that if he wins this year he'll have three rings and be a sure lock for the HOF is kind of annoying in the same way that it's annoying that Tom Brady with his three rings is a lock already. Yet another reason why having SB rings shouldn't really be that much of a consideration when it comes to HOF voting.

Speaking of which, while I'm happy for Marshall Faulk and ambivalent about Deion Sanders, I'm kind of pissed that Tim Brown hasn't gotten any more love from the HOF voters. Shannon Sharpe certainly deserves to be in as well, but since he played a majority of his career for the Broncos, who I hate with a passion, means I can't actually enjoy his entry.

I'm not going to really comment on the innanity of the talking-heads on the pre-game show, other than it's the same old BS that you get every Sunday in the morning before the games. I used to watch and care about these guys, especially since most of them are former players that I watched play. But sadly, I think that the actual level of intellectual commentary on the upcoming games has declined dramatically in the Fox Superbowl era. Yeah, I said it. Fox for all it's technological advancement is still trotting out the same old tired pre-game nonsense that hasn't flied for years. Having Terry Bradshaw interview Ben Rothelisberger is not a big innovation, it's a foregone conclusion. Let's see if he actually owns up to his behavior or if he just wants to discuss the game. Bradshaw isn't a hard-hitting interviewer either.


Hey that Priest movie looks good in a B-movie kind of way

No comments: