Monday, June 16, 2008

Four More Topps Series 2

I need to lay off opening packs for a few days, I think I've busted at least one pack each day for over a week now. My wife needed extra time today at work so I had some time to kill this afternoon, what better way than to hit a hobby store? Unlike so many of my past collectibles, there are actually five different card stores that I can get to with relatively ease, ad two are even within walking distance from my apartment.

I still haven't bought any UD Series 2, mostly because I can't enter any of the new codes for UD Kids until 7-1-08 because we're maxed out for the month already. Instead I grabbed four more Series 2 Hobby packs, because at 2 bucks a pop, I can justify that they fall under even my daily cash budget.

2008 Topps Series 2 Hobby
    Pack One
  • 586 Coco Crisp OF Red Sox
  • 432 Jason Kendall C Brewers
  • 368 Michael Bourn OF Astros
  • 565 A.J. Pierzynski C White Sox
  • 488 Mike Gonzalez P Braves
  • 510 Justin Verlander P Tigers
  • 637 Jose Castillo 2b Marlins Gold Foil Variant
  • Topps Town Gold
  • Get Grades Junk
  • 373 Casey Kotchman 1B ANGELS!
  • 542 Adam Kennedy 2B Cardinals
  • 643 Matt Murton OF Cubs


A solid pack for me even though my Angel pull is a double (triple?). Topps Town Gold is nice, but doesn't make up for the lack of any significant insert. Good start though.

Pack Two

  • 426 Franklin Gutierrez OF Indians
  • 393 Michael Cuddyer OF Twins
  • 468 Gregor Blanco OF Braves RC
  • 658 Kerry Wood P Cubs
  • 469 Brian Bocock SS Giants RC
  • 443 Greg Dobbs 3B Phillies
  • TS02 Magglio Ordonez OF Tigers
  • ToppsTown Code
  • 657 John McDonald SS Blue Jays
  • 648 Ryan Freel OF Reds
  • 535 Frankie Rodriguez P ANGELS!


A second solid pack, with one insert, one Angel, one ToppsTown and two RCs. Hard to get excited about though.

Pack Three

  • 641 Marcus Thames OF Tigers
  • 353 Brendan Ryan SS Cardinals
  • 509 Alex Gonzalez SS Reds
  • 481 Manny Parra P Brewers
  • 428 Jair Jurrjens P Braves
  • 620 Gary Sheffield OF Tigers
  • YR118 Jason Isringhousen throws 12 pitches and gets a save
  • 649 Joe Crede 3B White Sox
  • 515 A.J. Burnett P Blue Jays
  • 553 Jo-Jo Reyes P Braves


So far, I think that's the worst pack of Series 2 I've opened. Yup, I'm right, that was the worst pack. I didn't really need two Jurrjens cards, and now I have three.

Moving ON....

Pack Four

  • 408 Edison Volquez P Reds
  • 386 Javier Vazquez P White Sox
  • 533 Kyle McClellan P Cardinals RC
  • 500 Chipper Jones 3B Braves
  • TCH51 Victor Martinez C Indians (87 Topps)
  • 332 Indians Classic Combos
  • 579 Jesse Litsch P Blue Jays Gold Foil Variation
  • HCM-1948 Truman d. Dewey
  • Get Cards Junk
  • 513 Rick Vandenhurk P Marlins
  • 480 Matt Cain P Giants

Save the best pack for last I guess should be my mantra. Overall a pretty good pack to end on, I like the Topps Card History cards, and would like to perhaps put a set of those together some day. I managed to snake a "starter" pack of five of them the other day, I think though that I sold off the Tim Linecum card that I pulled out of Series 1 already. Maybe I'll just buy a set off of eBay.


So let's break down the numbers on my multi-pack purchase shall we?

Once again, here's my rating scale:

1 star = total junk
2 stars = a couple of stars, RCs, a single Angel or a junk insert.
3 stars = one super-star, Vlad Guerrero or decent insert.
4 stars = any relic or auto.
5 stars = the best of the best.


Pack One = 1 Angel, 1 ToppsTown Gold, 1 Gold Foil. 2.5 stars.
Pack Two = 1 Angel, 1 ToppsTown. 1 decentish insert. 2 stars
Pack Three = Junk. 1 star
Pack Four = 1 good insert, 2 decentish inserts = 3.5 stars
Total stars: 9
Average per Pack: 2.25 Stars

Total Cards: 40
# of Angels: 2
# of 1:6 inserts: 4
# of 1:?? inserts: 2 (the gold foil parallels)

Ratio of Angels/Inserts to commons: 8/40

Total Cost w/Tax: $8.00
Cost per card: $00.20

Overall Notes: I'm actually a lot more pleased about these four packs than it appears according to the statistics. I really like the Presidential Race inserts, and I'm enjoying the TCH inserts more than I should. Two Angels in four packs is pretty good, even if one of them is a double. Plus I beat the odds yet again with four different 1:6 insert cards, and I always like that.

As always, I'll trade away anything I pulled with the exception of the Presidential card and the Angels.

2 comments:

Gellman said...

Dude, you are not having much luck with this stuff.

William Noetling said...

It's not that bad actually, could be a lot worse. Such is the lot of a pack buyer as well.

Though I did just buy a truly worthless UD Series 2 pack for SIX BUCKS!

Fortunately that was outweighed by the jersey I pulled out of a $2 pack of Topps.