Friday, June 13, 2008

2008 Upper Deck Series 1 Retail Box Break

Originally Posted on my Livejournal account May 29, 2008


I don't get to purchase boxes of sports cards anymore, I'm not even sure when I purchased my last box, but it may have been in the 90's. In any case, Upper Deck has a program where each card they produce has a code on it, you enter the code on their website and you get points. When you have amassed enough points, you get a reward. As rewards programs go, this one isn't all that special, except for a couple things.

1. It's for kids only. If you're older than 18, you're not eligible. Fortunately I have a 2 year old, so it's HER name on the account.

2. EVERY card has the same code. What I mean is that each Vladimir Guerrero card #6 has the same code, so you don't NECESSARILY have to actually own the card to get the code. What that means is that you can find thousands of codes on the internet. I have in my possession over 4000 codes right now, a good 1000 of them I haven't used yet.

3. You can only enter 100 codes per day and get something like 50,000 points in one month. I've hit that limit twice.

4. It cost 220,000 points for a box of cards, but shipping was free. Currently I have 80,000+ in my account, but I can't enter more codes until the first of June.

5. The rewards fufillment was pretty darn quick. Two or three weeks at the most.


SO here we go, here's the breakdown on my 2008 Series 1 box of Upper Deck Baseball.

24 packs per box, 18 cards per pack. Total cards: 432

Towards Set: 330 of 400 (83%)
Doubles: 63

Inserts:

StarQuest Commons: 23 of 30 (77%)
StarQuest Super-Rare: 1 of 30 - Johan Santana (dinged)

Presidential Predictors: 4 of 9 - Guiliani, Edwards, Gore, Wild Card

Yankee Stadium Legacy x6 - 174, 179, 2193, 2263, 2288, 6142

Game Used Jersey x1 - Ben Sheets #97-BS (White swatch)



All together, a VERY pedestrian box if I do say so myself. Still, at least it was free, and HOPEFULLY I already have enough of this set to make a full set. If I can I'll probably sell it on eBay.

No comments: